With this in mind, a few services have popped up that offer just that. On the cutting edge of this new technology, Jasepr.AI (formerly known as Jarvis) is an affordable service that creates original content (like blog posts) for you. All you have to do is put in a title, a bit of information on what you want to write about, and the AI will scour the internet to create an original post.
While in theory services like Jasper.AI seem like a perfect solution for smaller sites that need content created at a low price, how effective are they in practice?
Here’s my honest review of how well the service actually works and if it’s worth it to get a subscription for your website.
Pros: Here’s what I like about Jasper AI
Overall, the software itself is beautifully developed. Essentially, the service does what it says it will, and fulfills its purpose.
Here are a few specific things that I enjoy about Jasper.AI.
- It’s easy enough for just about anyone to use. All you have to do is put in a little information about the general idea of what you want to cover, and the AI does the rest.
- The price point. It’s pretty inexpensive for even the most all-inclusive plans it offers.
- It’s great for short copy. If you get hung up on writing social media posts, SEO meta titles and description, and things that require character limitations, Jasper is great at manipulating text to fit these requirements.
- There are over 50 templates that you can use (e.g. Facebook headlines, YouTube video descriptions, product descriptions, email subject lines, etc).
- It can help you overcome writer’s block, give you ideas for blog posts, and create better outlines.
- For topics that are frequently written about, Jasper can really help do a lot of the heavy lifting. The AI can build out a solid base of content that you can then add your own unique perspective to. Think of it as a tool that can build a framework of a house, then you get to move your furniture in!
Cons: Here are the only things I don’t like about Jasper AI
What all of the drawbacks of this software boil down to is its novelty. Since it is a new concept, there are still a few issues that it needs to work out.
If I’m being honest here, I personally tried out this software and I have canceled it. Not because I don’t like the software, but mainly because my main writing needs fall under the category of blog posts that are 1500 words or more. And at the end of the day, I can get better output from freelance writers with less aggravation.
These are some of the service’s biggest issues.
- It’s just… not a person. Though you will get content, there won’t be any “humanness” or real personality to it, and it will sound a little bit cookie-cutter.
- It gathers information from all around the Internet and doesn’t really fact-check any of it. This has led to iffy information, incorrect statistics, and some content that is just plain not true.
- There are no sources provided, so you can’t double-check where it got its information from.
- Because of these issues, you will have to go through and proofread everything, then verify the information, then edit anything that’s incorrect/just sounds weird. You essentially have to babysit it, which can end up taking up as much time as creating original content and ultimately costing you as much as hiring a copywriter would.
- If you’re looking for long-form content, you’ll need to choose the Boss Mode plan.
- Word count isn’t based on the words that you end up with. It’s for literally every single word that’s generated. So, if Jasper goes off on a tangent and starts talking about a product that’s completely irrelevant to your business, you chew up resources fast.
Jasper AI Overview
How Does Jasper.AI Work?
Jasper.AI software works by taking the minimal information you give it and searching the web to create content relevant to the topic you’re covering.
You have the option to create new content by selecting a format and creating a title, typing a few sentences about what you want the summary of the article to be, and even selecting a tone that you want it to take on. These tone options range from informational to “Joe Rogan,” though I haven’t personally tried out that feature to see what exactly that means, it’s there if you want to use it.
It intuitively learns as you use it more, adapting to make the content sound more personal and taking on your voice as it works.
Since it uses the web to create, the more widely covered the topic, the more sources it has to extract information from. However, having more information available also means that more misinformation is also available, making it harder to tell facts from fiction.
Who Uses Jasper.AI?
A few different companies and agencies use the futuristic software, though since it is fairly new, there isn’t exactly a huge list available. Jasper.AI users are often smaller sites that are looking to pump out a bunch of SEO content to make their page float to the top of the Google searches.
The most common types of sites and companies that use Jasper.AI to produce content are agencies, bloggers, lead generation sites, and media sites, though their clients range from nonprofit organizations to health and fitness sites.
Jasper AI Pricing
The biggest selling point for this software is the price, Pay Once & Get Lifetime Jasper access. It’s incredibly affordable when you just think of the upfront cost, especially when compared to the hourly or per-project rate of hiring a freelancer.
But remember, if you want quality content, you will have to comb through the content it creates and edit it before you use it. So, you will have to account for how much you need to pay yourself (or someone else) per hour to essentially polish the AI and edit the content.
For example, I paid around $129/month for the Boss Mode. I was able to get, conservatively, only 8-10 articles done per month. For each article, I spent about 2 hours editing it to get it up to agency standards. If I factor in how much I would need to pay myself as an editor, it would be a minimum of $50 per hour. So that means at least an extra $1,000 a month.
It would be cheaper and save me time to just use a real human copywriter to create original content.
Also keep in mind that the “words per month” listed only apply to words generated, meaning all of the words that the AI comes up with. This includes words that you may end up editing out.
They have two sort of umbrella packages that include the same basic features with different price points based on words per month, and they are:
- Starter – starts at $29 per month. Includes unlimited projects and user logins, and 50+ AI copywriting skills. This plan is best for businesses that only need small projects done like tweets, headlines, and product descriptions. At the $29 price point, you only get 20,000 words generated per month.
- Boss Mode – starts at $59 per month. Includes the blog post creator and “command Jasper” feature allowing you to type in simple commands to create long-form content. At this price point, you get 50,000 words per month.
- For the unlimited version of this package, you pay $3,600 per month for over 5 million words generated.
In my opinion, there’s no use in getting any of the smaller packages if you’re going to use this software for long-form content. 20,000 words seems like a lot until you’re going back through and tossing half of them out in your editing process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Jasper.AI free?
Though Jasper.AI offers a free 5-day trial, their cheapest plan begins at $29 a month.
Can Jasper.AI write a book?
Yes, Jasper.AI can technically write a book, but I recommend having it just assist you in writing a book if this is the route you choose to take.
What is AI copywriting?
AI copywriting is the process of using artificial intelligence software to create web content like social media posts, blogs, articles, and emails.
Will AI replace copywriters?
If we reach peak dystopian-novelesque society where robots run the world, it’s technically possible that AI could replace copywriters. But as it stands, humans do a better job of creating content than computers.
Can AI write blogs?
Yes, AI writing assistants are often used to create blog posts and save the site owner time.